Anomoly - Ace Frehley

Ace Frehley



When I read that had a new cd coming out at about the same time as a new KISS CD I was  intrigued.  I had just read an interview with Ace in a popular Guitar magazine and the bitter feelings between them were evident.  Also, with Ace's famed substance abuse problems and his inability to even play during part of it, I wondered how good it could be. Well, the Starman has done it again.  Much like his first solo release in the Kiss solo releases way back when, Ace has trumped any solo release the band hs made.  It totally blows Paul Stanley's recent solo cd out of the water (and I thought Paul's was pretty good).  In fact, it blows the most recent Kiss CD, Sonic Boom, out of the water.  Tommy Thayer does his best Ace impression on Sonic Boom, but just does not have the same power or feeling.  In fact, he often copies Ace too much. Bruce Kulick and Vinnie Vincent each brought something a little different and unique to Kiss, where Tommy seems content to be an Ace impersonator in looks and playing style. Check out Anomaly!  Ace has never sounded better.  His playing is raw and crisp.  It rocks harder than anything his former mates have done in years.  And much like New York Groove, even the cover tune, Fox on the run, is a perfect fit for him.  He even brings Anton Fig back on board for a little drumming.  I like to say that I have progressed past Kiss in my musical tastes, but truth be told, I am still a closet Kiss Army man.  Well, now I am a total sold out Ace fan.  I sure hope he does a follow up with the same heart and energy.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Musician Forum

Music. My Life Long Friend!

Wipe Away the Tears