The 80's. A side trip to Santa Barbara


 

The 80’s

Side Trip to Santa Barbara

It took me a bit longer than planned, but here I am again at the keyboard. I have my 80’s playlist going and I guess I am ready. I decided to take a little side trip. I was going to continue where I left off, but I decided no story about my life in the 80’s would be complete without mentioning Santa Barbara California. 

I mentioned Santa Barbara a few times in the past. From the very first time I visited, I knew I wanted to go as often as possible. While working at the White House we could select our hometown trip preference.  I initially selected Utica/Rome New York.  After my first visit to Santa Barbara I quickly had them change my hometown to Santa Barbara. This did not mean I would go on every trip there as it was a favorite for a number of people. Rancho Del Cielo, the Reagan Ranch, was not far from there and it was his frequent vacation spot. As it turned out, from 1985 on I made all but one or two trips. I would go with the team or be on the White House Press Plane Charter.  Coworkers often complained that I went so frequently. I was amazed no one figured out I had it listed as my hometown.

The area was a great place for single people. There was so much to do on a daily basis that it kept you occupied. The great part was you seldom worked for than an hour or two in the morning. You had a weekly radio broadcast from the ranch that tied up one morning each week but it was so nice you didn’t care.  Once a year I worked at a press picnic.  The picnic was more fun than work. It was live music (normally by the Patty Kistner Band)  and good food.  Aside from that it was pure fun. We always stayed right across the street from the beach. There were beach volleyball courts, a large bike/Walking path that hosted artists and vendors most weekends.  There was a boardwalk and fishing pier.  The city hosted restaurants of varied cuisines, movie theaters, bars and clubs. We got into all theaters free of charge and didn’t have to stand in line. We just showed our White House Passes,  Then, for a music lover like myself, it was heaven.  

The music and dance club scene was amazing. At Oscars, I saw California favorites like Eddie and the Tide and The Volcanos just to name a couple. Clubs played various music from the period.  What I liked is that in addition to the standard club music and remixes you heard in DC area clubs, they also mixed in others. Bands like Echo and the Bunnymen,  Gene Loves Jezebel, Modern English, The Psychedelic Furs, and Simple Minds.  If you like country or country rock there was a club just outside of the city and a bowling alley with a big lounge that had live country or country rock bands. There was a reggae place I loved that was almost on the beach.  For a single guy like myself,  there was no  lack of attractive young ladies. The clubs were busy nearly every night. Sometimes I would hit different venues each night. I met more people than imaginable.  

The Patty Kistner Band was one we frequently saw because one of my coworkers knew her and had played music with her in the past,  We would meet her for lunch at La Tolteca’s (probably spelled wrong) for lunch.  Sometimes we would meet her and her sister at a club if her band was not playing that night.  It was always great to see both of them. There were a few people that I saw nearly every visit. It was often because they were regulars at a club. We would dance for hours.  There was one that in addition to exchanging sweat (a story I won’t go into now) would act as my wing person   There were times when I would be alone as married coworkers and others just didn’t want to go out. Sometimes flying solo it could be tough to get the first dance because people were leery of a person by themselves.  I remember one time I was talking with a lady sitting next to me but she would not dance. She was very talkative but that was it.  The above-mentioned person came up and purposely bumped me and led me to the dance floor.  There was one fast song and a slow dance where we danced extremely close.  When the song ended she kissed me and said: “She will dance now Ralph”.  I think I said something like “If that didn’t make her leave”.  She just chuckled.  I went back to my seat and the other person shot her a nasty look and said “Come on”.  She (I keep starting to type her actual name) was right.  I danced the rest of the night with the person that had refused prior.  I could list many stories.  I met one person that I really hit it off with and a few days later I made a crazy day trip from Santa Barbara to San Jose to take her to dinner. That is a bit of a haul. After that we met up a few times in Santa Barbara and I visited San Jose once. She and I remained friends even after we both married and had our first son (she had one shortly after). We recently reconnected on social media.  If there is one downside it would be that long-term friendships, even casual, faded because of distance and my travel eventually ending. 

Well. I will wrap up here.  I will get back to the main subject next time.  I will close with one more story. It was my last time in Santa Barbara (President Reagan left office shortly after).  My wife was on the trip and rooming with a good friend who arrived at the White House shortly after I did.  My wife and I had split for a time. By this trip, we were dating regularly again and talking about getting engaged. I was driving our rented vehicle and my friend and another coworker were leaving to get lunch. I noticed this nice pair of legs jogging and realized it was my wife.  She had the super short shorts on that were popular at the time. I put my window down and called her over.  She leaned in and we all chatted briefly.  She said she needed to finish her run and get back to work. As she jogged away I was watching her rear end and I bumped into the car in front of me.  How embarrassing.  Until next time please take care and God Bless.


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music. My Life Long Friend!

Writing

The 80's Part 2